Monday, May 19, 2008

all work and no play,makes the gym owner penniless


It was not until recent times, that I was unfortunate enough to stumble upon a whole new world, running parallel to our staid one. This unfortunate incident made me realise how lucky i am to be living on this side of the fence,where the Big Mac is just a totally delicious mouth-watering burger sitting on the counter beckoning me with its aroma and does not mysteriously transfigure itself into 200 kilocalories filling me with repugnance.
As every story has a beginning,so does mine. It all started with these flyers that mysteriously found their way to my car windshield, no matter where i parked,and no matter how many times i tossed them away without sparing them the slightest glance. Finally conceding defeat after weeks of harassment, i picked up the latest one, stuck in the exact same place as its predecessors.
"Lose 5 kgs in a week!! Come experience the fun and sure way to attain your dream weight!! " it said. These words were accompanied by a surreal picture of an attractive woman with the perfect body. That unfortunate evening,the stars must have been against me;the shadow planets must have played their battle, Rahu must have won over Ketu. For i found myself thinking about the flyer repeatedly and after a weeks thought, decided it was time i joined the gym to shed a few extra totally harmless pounds.
The receptionist at the gym was more than warm. She did away with the last few inhibitions left in me, and with her warm smile and words she totally convinced me into joining the gym for three whole months.
The very next morning I arrived at the gym in my new gym clothes and expensive new shoes and was shown around by the trainer. It was difficult to catch up with the gym jargon. "20 minutes on the crosstrainer 20 on the treadmill that should suffice for cardio. Be sure to note down the cal. " Her demonstration of the various intimidating singular machines did not engender any confidence in me to do the 3 sets that she recommended on these so-and-so machines which would tone my so-and-so muscles.
It would have been polite on the trainer's part to give me some recovery time before dropping the next bombshell on me. She handed over to me a sheet of paper. it was titled "3-week diet".
breakfast:cup of bran flakes with skim milk
fat-free yogurt
tea.
lunch:cup of vegetable soup.
black-bean burger or turkey on whole grain bread
slice of melon
dinner:big green salad
half a cup of brown rice
cup of fruit smoothie
snacks:salt crackers
cup of light popcorn
What the..?!? Was she trying to starve me to death!?! I returned her polite smile and tossed the paper into the bin on my way out. :)
Though I did not follow that particular diet, the diet-craze did catch on to me.I regularly hit the gym, counted calories, avoided the carbs till my friends started telling me that i was driving them insane with my calorie-fetish. They thankfully dragged me back across the fence back into the normal sane world!
At the end of the day, it wasn't kgs that i lost,even close to what the flyer or the trainer promised, but a substantial amount of INR that they conveniently forgot to mention. :(

1 comment:

vasudha said...

u called dis boring?? was a nice read...loved the ending :)...although next time u post something please remind me to bring along a dictionary :(